Thursday, March 8, 2007

Wanton Mee

I love noodles. Some people can't live without rice, some can't live without bread. Give me my noodles, and I'm a very happy girl. I love all kinds and varieties of noodles, from simple instant noodles to chinese mee pok to japanese ramen to italian pasta. One of Colin's favourite noodles is Wanton Mee, which is what I cooked for him today.

Wanton (云吞) is a Cantonese word literally translated as 'swallowing of cloud', and refers to a minced meat dumpling common in Chinese cuisine. I thought this was quite interesting as wantons floating in the soup did really resemble clouds in the sky!

Here's my version of the Wanton Mee!


My wantons were fat with succulent tender meat and shrimp, crunchy with bits of water chestnut, BUT!! They were hopelessly bland as I did not add enough salt or soya sauce when I was marinating the filling! *horrors* The only redeeming part of the dinner were the sweet char siew (thanks to the char siew rice stall at Pek Kio market!)

Just when I was starting to think that I was getting quite good at cooking, tonight's dinner really brought me down! We ended up throwing out half of the wantons.. :(

Thankfully, we had a big honeydew in the fridge which I quickly cut up for us.
After tonight, you can bet that we'd be running out to one of our favourite Wanton Mee stalls for our next Wanton Mee fix:

1) Fei Fei at East Coast Hawker Centre
2) Koung's Wanton Mee at Geylang Lorong 13
3) Kok Kee at Lavender Food Square

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear nanhui...

can see u r enjoying u taitai-hood.. keep it up...

cheers!