Sunday, March 11, 2007

A rude awakening

Sundays are Family Days for us. We would spend our mornings at the club (Colin would play badminton with his friends while I would leisurely swim my 10 laps and have breakfast by the pool) before we headed to Colin's folk's place for lunch and to my folk's place for dinner. Today was no exception.

This morning at the club, as I made my way out of the pool towards the changing room, I ran into a security guard who greeted me with "Good morning M'am, brought your children swimming?" His words cut my heart like a sharpened knive but I managed to snort a "Good morning" and even forced a smile through my grinding teeth.

No offence to mothers reading this, I'm really just a paranoid person who still insists that kids call me "jie jie" so good gracious! What could have made this security guard think I was a mother bringing my children to swim?

Perhaps it was my flabby tummy which he might have thought was post-delivery? or perhaps it was my "aunty-looking" swim suit which I like to swim in coz they are practical and coz I never have to worry about them slipping or exposing too much flesh? Perhaps the rumour that women who stay at home instead of work very soon acquire an appearance of the "huang lian po" is more fact than fiction? Or, as Colin suggested (while trying hard not to laugh), perhaps he's just a very short-sighted security guard who forgot to wear his glasses to work today. Well, perhaps!

1 comment:

raihan said...

Wah homemaker... can't imagine!!