Thursday, March 1, 2007

Braised chicken with mushrooms & chestnut

After yesterday's junk food, I woke up with a slight sore throat and a very guilty soul. Hit the gym with Colin for 15 minutes on the threadmill followed by some light weights. Decided that I will try out my best friend Jessie's recipe today. Jessie lives in Nagano, Japan with her hubby Takashi and soon-to-be-born baby. Being a food-lover like myself, she misses her local food and will always try to re-create familiar local recipes with whatever ingredients she can get her hands on.

This is one of Jessie's recipes that I have adapted - Braised Chicken with Mushrooms.
Instead of Shitake mushrooms and scallops that Jessie used, I threw in Colin's favourite - Chestnuts!






Here is what I used :

3 chicken thighs - chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 can of button mushrooms
20 peeled roasted chestnuts
1/2 onion, 1/2 ginger, some garlic
sesame oil, sugar, pepper
1 table spoon of oyster sauce
2 table spoons of dark soy sauce
1 table spoon of huatiao wine

First, heat up the pan. When pan is hot, pour in the sesame oil, garlic, onion, and ginger and stir-fry till fragrant. Next, throw in the chicken and fry for 3 minutes. Add in 200g of boiling water, button mushroooms, chestnut, and seasoning. After the mixture boils, turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes. Lastly, add huatiao wine, stir, and serve!

Somehow, my dish did not turn out as nice as Jessie's (I wonder why)..anyway, here is the end result!
Apart from this dish, I also whipped up some stir-fried kailan, as well as beansprouts with tau kwa.
And our dessert? Fresh, sweet, juicy watermelon, courtesy of Colin's grandparents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.